Associates of the Society of Saint Francis
erhaps God is calling to you through a heart hurting with emptiness in the midst of material plenty. Perhaps you are in need of prayerful support in your life. Perhaps you have gifts God is calling you to share. Perhaps you feel called to work on behalf of the poor and marginalized. Perhaps God is leading you to follow the little poor man of Assisi in order that your love for God and creation may grow. We welcome men, women, lay, clergy, married, single, young and old to join us as Associates in our diverse Franciscan family.
We invite you to become an Associate of The Society of Saint Francis, an international religious community of men and women within the Anglican Communion, inspired by the 13th century mystic, Saint Francis of Assisi.
Your Obligations as an Associate
1. To pray to God and read some verses of the Bible every day.
2. To attend Holy Communion regularly.
3. To make use of the sacrament of reconciliation or some other method of examination of conscience and penance.
4. To practice responsible stewardship of resources.
5. To support your Franciscan Brothers and Sisters in the Society of St. Francis through your gifts and prayers.
6. To respond to God's call to the service of others in the situation of your life.
7. To deepen your knowledge of God and the faith through study and retreats.
8. To write a Rule of Life and correspond with the Secretary for Associates at least once each year.
How to Become an Associate
1. If you feel that God is calling you to become an Associate, write a letter telling us about yourself and why you feel called to join our Franciscan family.
The Secretary for Associates
PO Box 4970
Austin, TX 78765-4970
2. After receiving guidelines from the Secretary for Associates, write your Rule of Life and ask a friend who knows you well to send in a letter of recommendation.
3. Upon receipt of your Rule and the recommendation, the Secretary will let you know how to arrange a reception service and will send you the Associate's Pin.
Having said all that, we hope you will still feel drawn towards the Associates of the Society of St. Francis. May God bless you on your journey.